Cassia Tora Seed
Cassia Tora Seed
Cassia seed is the ripe seed of the annual plant Cassia obtusifolia Linn., or Cassia tora Linn., of the Leguminosae/Fabaceae family. The plant is native to the tropics. It grows wild in India. This is an upright plant with compound leaves in groupings of six. Bears 20-cm pods which contain many cylindrical seeds. In addition to being used as medicinal herbs, the seeds are also used as a mordant in dyeing. They can also be roasted and ground, used as a coffee substitute.
The seeds of Cassia tora L. have been conventionally used throughout the Asian region for several centuries. Its roasted seeds have a favorable flavor, so it is used popularly as a tea in Korea. Cassia tora L. has been also prescribed in oriental herb medicine to treat night blindness, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and constipation
The seeds of Cassia Tora are rhombohedral and brown in color, about 30 to 50 in number. The plant bears flowers in the rainy season and fruits in the winter.
Cassia Tora Seed different Name
|Popular Name(s):||Cassia Tora, Foetid Cassia, Tora, Sickle Senna, Wild Senna, Sickle Pod, Coffee Pod|
|Hindi||Charota an Chakvad|
|Gujarati||Puwad , Kawaria|
|Sanskrit||Chakramarda & Dadmari|
|Chinese, pinyin||jué míng zi , 决明子|
Specification Of Cassia Tora Seed
|Product||Cassia tora Seed|
|Size||0.3 to 0.4 cm.|
|Ash content||5 % (max.)|
|Heavy Metal –||<0.1%|
|Iron||50 ppm (max.)|
|Property||Bitter, Sweet, and salty in flavor, slightly cold in nature|
Application of Cassia Tora Seed
- Making Cassia tora tea.
- Cassia Tora is used as a coffee substitute and has a maturing and anodyne action.
- It is very useful in treating skin diseases like ringworm and itching or body scratch and psoriasis.
- Decoction of the fruit of Cassia Tora is used in the treatment of fever.
- It is consumed in worm infestation and cures the infection occurring in the body.
- Cassia Tora acts as a liver stimulant, mild laxative and heart tonic.
- The herb helps the body in maintaining the normal level of cholesterol.
- Its paste is used for treating skin ailments and also for getting rid of chronic diseases.
- Cassia Tora proves worthwhile in treating piles and hemorrhoids as well as relieving the pain caused on excretion.
- Its powder proves useful in combating indigestion, toning up heart muscles and purifying blood.
- The juice extracted from its leaves is used in case of skin ailments, rashes and allergies. It is also used as an antidote in case of various poisonings.